Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Inspirational stories - James' journey through homelessness


James is a 35-year-old former homeless man. Who is sharing his story to show there is light at the end of the tunnel, no matter what.
“I had been sleeping on the streets and sofa-surfing for seven years. I started to come to the realisation that the reason for my homelessness was through my drug addiction. The hardest part about being on the streets was not feeling equal. Day-to-day I would see people going on with their lives knowing they had a job and a home. This just made me feel like I wasn’t apart of society really.
“For a long time I didn’t stay positive and cope with these situations. It was all about just finding the practical stuff - finding food and somewhere warm to go. For a long time I used drugs to cope with this situation, so yeah it was very hard to stay positive at that time.
“The main thing for me, that started to turn things around was when I moved to Sheffield. I was able to seek help from the Archer project. At first I just used it to get a meal and have somewhere warm to go to for a bit. Then I started to see that there was actually a lot of support here that I could start using. I started using the services provided from the archer project to help me get clean and stay clean.
“My advice for people facing homelessness would be to never ever give up. There’s always a way out. There’s places like the Archer project that can really help you, especially in Sheffield. Before I moved to Sheffield I lived in North Wales. I couldn't believe the amount of services provided here for people in the situation of homelessness. I would also say to anybody who is in this situation, to talk to people and engage in the services. They are there to help, not to judge.
“Im now looking forward to actually having a future. For a long time I didn’t care about anything. Im also looking forward to getting back into a position where I can find employment that I enjoy. I also am very happy about just enjoying life again.”
 Q: I asked James how he would describe his journey with two words.
A: "Traumatic and worth-while."
Very inspiring story. 
Thank you for reading.
Until next time,
Lauren 
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 photo tw_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg